I bought a case of mason jars last year which led me to discover new ways to use them in my home. This cute project is something I made for my bathroom. I wanted the jars to look fun and whimsical, and I think I accomplished my goal.
Check out the tutorial and helpful tips below.
Supplies I Used:
- 2 One Quart Mason Jars
- Turquoise Chalkboard Paint
- Pump Insert Kit
- Paint Brush
- Duct Tape
- Fine Point Permanent Marker
- Clear Acrylic Sealer
- X-Acto Knife
1. Use a permanent marker to draw cloud shapes on the duct tape.
2. Cut the cloud shapes out of the duct tape, then place them on the mason jars.
Tips: Painter’s or masking tape is much easier to use than duct tape. I had a hard time cutting through the duct tape, and it didn’t stay in place that well on the glass jars.
3. Paint the jars. Let the first coat dry, then repeat with a second coat. Let the jars dry again for several hours before gently removing the tape.
Tips: I used chalkboard paint because that I was all that I had. I recommend using a paint + primer spray paint instead of hand painting the jars. Spray paint gives the jars a smoother and cleaner finish.
4. Use a clear acrylic sealer on the outside of the jars to make them more resistant to scratches and moisture.
Tips: Before moving on the next step, let the jars air out until the next day. You don’t want your bathroom and toiletries smelling like paint and sealant fumes.
5. For the last steps, add the cotton balls and swabs inside one of the jars. Fill the other jar with hand soap liquid and insert the pump kit.
I hope you enjoy making these cloud jars as much as I did. They will add such a playful element to any room.
The idea for this project was inspired by the book DIY Mason Jars.