I bought a case of mason jars last year which led me to discover new ways to use them in my home. This cute project is something I made for my bathroom. I wanted the jars to look fun and whimsical, and I think I accomplished my goal.
Check out the tutorial and helpful tips below.
Supplies I Used:
- 2 One Quart Mason Jars
- Turquoise Chalkboard Paint
- Pump Insert Kit
- Paint Brush
- Duct Tape
- Fine Point Permanent Marker
- Clear Acrylic Sealer
- X-Acto Knife
1. Use a permanent marker to draw cloud shapes on the duct tape.
2. Cut the cloud shapes out of the duct tape, then place them on the mason jars.
Tips: Painter’s or masking tape is much easier to use than duct tape. I had a hard time cutting through the duct tape, and it didn’t stay in place that well on the glass jars.
3. Paint the jars. Let the first coat dry, then repeat with a second coat. Let the jars dry again for several hours before gently removing the tape.
Tips: I used chalkboard paint because that I was all that I had. I recommend using a paint + primer spray paint instead of hand painting the jars. Spray paint gives the jars a smoother and cleaner finish.
4. Use a clear acrylic sealer on the outside of the jars to make them more resistant to scratches and moisture.
Tips: Before moving on the next step, let the jars air out until the next day. You don’t want your bathroom and toiletries smelling like paint and sealant fumes.
5. For the last steps, add the cotton balls and swabs inside one of the jars. Fill the other jar with hand soap liquid and insert the pump kit.
I hope you enjoy making these cloud jars as much as I did. They will add such a playful element to any room.
The idea for this project was inspired by the book DIY Mason Jars.
I am in love with white decor and have researched beautiful and fun ways I can add the color inside my home. Chalk paint is very popular at the moment, and I wanted to use it for this project. When I saw some white chalk paint for sale at a low price, I immediately bought a couple of bottles and painted some old mason jars I had in my cabinet.
- 3 Mason Jars (size: 1 qt.)
- Foam Brush
- Chalk Paint (Colors: Plaster and Maui Sand)
- Jute Rope
- Key Embellishments
- Glue Gun
- Glue Sticks
1. Clean jars. I cleaned them with dish soap and warm water.
2. Paint. I applied the chalk paint with a foam brush. I used the darker colored paint first, let it dry for about 2 – 3 hours, then I painted a coat of the white chalk paint.
3. Distress the jars. After the paint dries, distress the jars with sandpaper. I used 150 grit sandpaper. Sanding is probably one of my least favorite things to do, so I completed this job very quickly, and mostly sanded the raised parts on the jars.
4. Add embellishments. I spread glue around the mouth of the jar with a hot glue gun. Then I wrapped the jute rope on top of the glue. I also tied a key embellishment on one of the jars for decoration.
5. Add Flowers. You can use real or artificial flowers. I chose artificial flowers because they were cheaper and will last longer.
Simple and pretty!
I wanted to share this idea with anyone who wanted to make a unique Valentine’s gift for loved ones or find a fun way to decorate for Valentine’s Day. I think mason jars are a great way to display candy and other items. I loved pairing the jar with the lamp shade.
I used the following items:
I began by poking holes into the lamp shade with a safety pin to give it a starry effect.
Next, I poured candy into the jar.
Then, I screwed the adapter on the jar.
Finally, I screwed on the lamp shade and light bulb. Here is the finished lamp:
I love Christmas, and I enjoy making decorations for my home. This is the first Christmas since my son was born that my family and I will get to spend at home without traveling, so I plan on making our house look as festive as possible. I am working on lots of DIY decorations, and I hope to share them with you all as time permits.
For this blog post, I decided to make a snow globe. I already had a case of mason jars at home, so I only needed to buy a couple of other cheap items.I used the following supplies to complete this project: mason jar, glue gun, glue sticks, water, fine glitter, miniature Christmas figurines. All of the supplies were really inexpensive because I bought them at dollar stores.
Turn the lid upside down. Then, hot glue the figurines to the lid. Make sure the figurines are centered on the lid so that they do not cover the seal.
Fill the mason jar almost to the top with water. Then, pour in the glitter. (You can either pour in the glitter first or the water, it’s just personal preference.)
***FYI: A lot of tutorials called for using glycerin in the water because it can make the glitter fall slowly. It made my glitter lump together, so use at your own discretion.
Turn the figurines over into the water. Then, tightly screw on the lid.
I really enjoyed making this snow globe. The supplies were inexpensive, and it didn’t take a lot of time to complete. I look forward to making more of these for family and friends.
You will love this project if you are a fan of Mason Jar crafts.
I used the following supplies:
- Canning Jar Lamp Adapter (I bought it at amazon.com)
- Mandarin Orange Krylon Spray Paint
- Mason Jar
- Light Bulb
- Lamp Shade
First, I spray painted the lamp shade and let it dry for a couple of hours.
Next, I poured the candy into the jar. Then, I screwed the adapter on top of the jar. Finally, I plugged the lamp into the socket.
This lamp was a big hit with my family. I love it because you can fill the jar with just about anything. I also love the fact that this project took me very little time to assemble. I’m already thinking of other foods and objects I can use to fill the jar.