Today’s blog post is all about making old things look new again.
This TV tray has been in my home for several years. It mostly sits in a corner collecting dust. I couldn’t wait to use my chalk paints to give it a makeover.
First, I had to clean the tray because it had a lot of dirt and dust on it.
Next, I painted the entire tray with one coat of the FolkArt ® Home Decor™ – Maui Sand Chalk Paint. I let it dry for about 1-2 hours.
Then, I painted the tray with a coat of Waverly® Inspirations Chalk Paint – Plaster.
After the last coat of paint dried, I used a stencil to draw designs on top of the tray.
Finally, I distressed the tray with sandpaper and sealed it with Clear Wax.
I enjoy using chalk paint because I don’t need to prime or prep surfaces. I can apply one or two coats of paint and be finished with my project in a couple of hours.
I enjoy finding ways to celebrate love. I also enjoy hearing about how couples met and eventually got married. I made this project as a way to have a cute reminder of where I met my husband.
Supplies I used:
- 10 in. x 10 in. Shadow Box
- Road Map
- Mod Podge
- Red Card Stock
- Chalk Paint (Colors: Plaster and Maui Sand)
- Foam Brush
1. I began by removing the glass and backing from the shadow box.
2. Next, I painted the frame with 2 different colors of chalk paint. I let the paint dry 1 hour between each coat. Then, I lightly distressed the frame with 150 grit sandpaper.
3. I cut a piece of a state road map and adhered it to the frame backing with Mod Podge.
4. Finally, I cut a heart shape out of the card stock and glued it on the map to show where I met my husband.
I put the shadow box back together, and displayed it on my mantel.
Simple and pretty!
This shadow box would make a lovely gift for a bridal shower, engagement party, wedding, or anniversary.